Languages – French
Harrisdale Primary School
The Languages Curriculum Area has been implemented at Harrisdale Primary School from the beginning of 2018. This is in alignment with the new Languages WA Curriculum and it will be taught from Years 3-6 once a week for one hour. Students will also have the exciting opportunity to continue learning French at Harrisdale Senior High School.
French at Harrisdale PS is taught through a combination of innovative approaches to language learning following the foundations of the AIM Method (Accelerative Integrative Method) alongside a broad range of communicative approaches.
Our French as a Second Language Program is also delivered through the use of the latest technologies for languages education. Families are encouraged to support their children in the use of Seesaw at home in-between lessons as short video presentations will be shared regularly to support the acquisition of French as a Second Language. This approach follows the Flipped Classroom methodology which allows us to fully utilise our lesson time to practise speaking and writing in French.
Benefits of Learning a Second Language
There are many advantages to learning a second language, these include:
- The development of a multicultural mindset.
- An appreciation for diversity and the development of an intercultural capability.
- Strengthening of students’ intellectual, analytical and reflective capabilities and enhancement of their creative and critical thinking skills.
- Extending students’ literacy repertoires.
- Developing students’ intercultural understanding and sense of identity.
- Understanding of the role of language and culture in human communication.
- Boosting creativity and self-confidence.
- Supporting and improving first-language acquisition and development; and
- Preparing students for life in our current global community, amongst others.